The Pazo do Faramello is an early eighteenth century building in baroque civilian Compostelean style, with strong Italian influences that give away the Genoese origin of his founder, the Marquis of Piombino.
The manor is located 12 kms of Padron and 10 km to Santiago de Compostela, the old Camino de Santiago Portugués (Southern Way of St. James) crosses the property and runs parallel to the river up to the Rua de Francos, small village documented from the XII Century as final lodging for the pìlgrims
The estate covers an area of 126,000 m2 and the beautifully constructed main building exceeds 2.100 m2. Notable among the elite of the great Galician estate houses for its industrial origin, as it was founded after the Real Fábrica del Faramello paper factory, a pioneer and champion of the industry in Galicia for over two centuries. The old mills and its corresponding tools can still be visited.
Built in terraces over the river canyon, the Manor House is surrounded by an ancient Atlantic forest in perfect condition and permanent recovery. This conservation effort is amply rewarded by the amazing biodiversity of the place; otters, owls, herons, wild ducks, trout, vermillion frogs, squirrels, ferrets, kingfisher, red foxes, endangered species like the tourquoise lizard das silvas find in Faramello a protection shelter.
There are plenty of historical and literary references of Pazo do Faramello, its former stables housed the arsenal against French troops in the victorious riots of June 2, 1808 and it´s been a literary reference to some of the most illustrious Galician writers, two of them awarded with the Nobel Prize (Rosalía de Castro and Camilo J. Cela).
Significantly the Manor House is one of the main settings of Alexandro Pérez Lugín´s novel “La casa de la Troya”, 1915, at the time one of the most widely read novels in Spanish.
Remarkably, note that the legendary Celtic fort of Queen Lupa, dated from the 1st Century, is located on the fringes of the estate.
In the early decades of the twentieth century, The Pazo do Faramello served as the summer royal residence of H.M King Alfonso XIII and Prince Louis of Bavaria in their visits to Santiago de Compostela.
The Chapel of the Manor (1727) houses a wooden altarpiece made by one of the most acclaimed sculptors of the Cathedral of St. James, the master Joseph Gambino, son of one of the founders of the Pazo, and born at the manor in 1719.
The Lord of Faramello holds the honor, never exerted, of being permitted to enter into the Cathedral of St. James on horseback, right given by Royal Privilege in 1815.